The Clerodendrum trichotomum
In Dutch, the Clerodendrum trichotomum is also known as the Pindakaasboom or Kansenboom.
Scent of the leaves
When the leaves of these plants are rubbed together, the scent of peanut butter is released. This is also the reason for the name Pindakaasboom.
Leaf shape and size
The leaf is oval-shaped and can grow up to 20 cm.
Flowering and growth
Originally, the Clerodendrum trichotomum grows in the wild in China and Japan. The plant is a vigorous grower and blooms late in the summer with pinkish-red calyxes.
Bees and butterflies
The calyxes have an extremely sweet scent, noticeable from a great distance. This makes the tree a popular spot for bees and butterflies.
After flowering, blue fruits appear on the Clerodendrum trichotomum.
Total height and crown shape
Clerodendrum can reach up to 6 meters in height and then has a broad, flat crown.
This species prefers a well-draining, nutrient-rich soil.
Which plants go well with the Pindakaasboom?
A well-designed garden can enhance the aesthetics and health of your Pindakaasboom. Here are some plants that go well with the Pindakaasboom:
Perennials: Combine the Pindakaasboom with perennials such as Lavender and Sage that share the same sun and water requirements, providing a beautiful color contrast.
Shrubs: Plant shrubs like the black currant or bushy ivy nearby; their flowers will create a nice contrast with the leaves and flowers of the Pindakaasboom.
Our popular trees: We have many popular trees that will look beautiful in combination with the peanut butter tree, such as the magnolia and the prunus!
Seasonal changes of the peanut butter tree
The Pindakaasboom is a seasonal wonder, with changing colors and textures marking each phase of the year:
- Spring: In spring, the Pindakaasboom comes to life with fresh green leaves, preparing for the summer bloom.
- Summer: Late in summer, the Pindakaasboom shines with pinkish-red calyxes emitting a sweet scent, a true delight for both the eyes and the nose.
- Autumn: In autumn, the leaves transform into a rich palette of reddish and purple hues, while the blue fruits that follow the bloom add an extra color dimension.
- Winter: Although the leaves fall, the colorful fruits and the unique structure of the branches continue to provide a visual spectacle against the winter background.
Why Choose a Young Tree from Amitis
- Easy to plant yourself due to the compact size and light weight
- Conveniently delivered to your home in a sturdy packaging
- Experience the growth and development of your own tree
- Easy to maintain
- Cultivate the size and growth form you are looking for
- Attain mature size within a short time
- Can be planted year-round as everything is delivered in pots
- No root loss and better chances of establishment as everything is pot-grown
- Cost-effective purchase
- Fresh, healthy plants directly from the grower
Want to know more about pruning? Read our page on tree maintenance! Feel free to contact us; we are happy to assist!