The Cornus mas 'Jolico' or Large-Fruited Cornel is a small tree that can grow up to 4 meters in height.
The main difference of this cultivar compared to the Cornus mas ‘Golden Glory’ is that this selection produces very large fruits. These can grow up to 3 cm long. The fruits of the Cornus mas 'Jolico' are edible.
After flowering in the summer, the red, edible fruits appear on the plant.
Leaf color and autumn coloring
The leaves are shiny, dark green, and arranged opposite each other on the branch. In the fall, the leaves turn orange-red before falling off the tree.
In spring, this cultivar blooms abundantly with golden-yellow flowers.
It thrives best in nutrient-rich, well-draining soil and tolerates drought and severe frost.
Bees, butterflies, and birds
Due to its abundant flowering and the berries that appear on the tree, it is a plant that attracts bees and butterflies when it is in bloom. When the berries are present, they serve as a food source for birds.
Why Choose a Young Tree from Amitis
- Easy to plant yourself due to the compact size and light weight
- Conveniently delivered to your home in a sturdy packaging
- Experience the growth and development of your own tree
- Easy to maintain
- Cultivate the size and growth form you are looking for
- Attain mature size within a short time
- Can be planted year-round as everything is delivered in pots
- No root loss and better chances of establishment as everything is pot-grown
- Cost-effective purchase
- Fresh, healthy plants directly from the grower
Want to know more about pruning? Read our page on tree maintenance! Feel free to contact us; we are happy to assist!