The name Calycanthus floridus or Spicebush
Calycanthus floridus, also known as Spicebush or Sweetshrub in English, is a relatively unfamiliar tree that owes its name to the strong melon fragrance it emits.
The leaves of the Spicebush are a fresh green color and slightly hairy on the underside.
In the fall, the leaves of Calycanthus floridus change to yellow before falling from the tree, revealing the dark brown branches.
From June to August, Calycanthus floridus blooms profusely with brownish-red flowers, which are a delight to the eyes.
After the flowers have faded, brown-black seed pods appear on the tree.
The Spicebush thrives on almost any soil type and can also be well-maintained in a pot if the soil is nutrient-rich, and the tree is placed in a sunny or semi-shaded location.
Calycanthus floridus requires minimal pruning, but if necessary, only formative pruning should be applied immediately after flowering. The cut branches can retain a strong fragrance for a long time.
Why Choose a Young Tree from Amitis
- Easy to plant yourself due to the compact size and light weight
- Conveniently delivered to your home in a sturdy packaging
- Experience the growth and development of your own tree
- Easy to maintain
- Cultivate the size and growth form you are looking for
- Attain mature size within a short time
- Can be planted year-round as everything is delivered in pots
- No root loss and better chances of establishment as everything is pot-grown
- Cost-effective purchase
- Fresh, healthy plants directly from the grower
Want to know more about pruning? Read our page on tree maintenance! Feel free to contact us; we are happy to assist!